Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The big (for me) project....


So... I have started, cutting the lino's that I am calling this years
"big project", all new, all black and white..... yes, stark..... to counter act the pretty that I inevitably do..... quite a while ago, I listened to an interview with Nick Hornsby, a British author, who "used to" write football books for guys..... I don't know how a football book could appeal to me, but I like his books, always.... anyway.. in the interview, Nick and the interviewer were talking about that it is women, who mainly buy books, quoting figures I can't remember now... but they percentage was really high.... so Nick, had just written a book with a female protagonist, or as he said... and I am not quoting, if you don't write for the people who buy books then you are pretty stupid ( as a matter of fact, I know he did not say it like that, but I can't remember the exact wording:o) and I at the time, did not really think so much about it, until just recently when I read an article about a graduation show, where the article writer, slammed, blasted and really pulverized the poor graduates for the cr-p they had dared to produce....... hmmm...see where I am going..... how come it's ok for authors( artists, right?) to keep a keen eye on the public... but not for artists? If you do, well, then darling... you have sold out, no better than a common whatsitnot..... is that not interesting......???
I can almost feel a bit of a rant coming on.....Hmmm... I obviously need to go an put on one of my "chill-out" cd's, lots of seagulls and waves.... from me to you...:o) Mariann

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mariann! I am back from a little vacation, and I have missed your rants - haha! I don't see any reason in the world NOT to consider the audience for your artwork. If the entire buying public was canine, I am betting we would all be making lots of dog art. Bad example. :) What's wrong with making art that women will buy? We rock. :) I think some of these weird ideas about "what makes an artist" have seriously got to go away. LOL!! I can't wait to see your new work! xox Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, obviously if you want to make a living from your art, you have to consider your buyers' preferences. But that is no reason not to produce good art that pleases you too. Just because your good art is also intended to please others - so you can sell it for (gasp!) money - doesn't mean you've "sold out" or that you are producing rubbish.
    Quality work will sell; however if your quality work would be considered offensive by the majority, or is always black and grey and miserable, then you will have to wait a lot longer to find a buyer (although certain artists have done pretty well for themselves with their sensationalist/offensive artwork).
    Not everyone recognises quality in the same way ... "Art for the Masses" does need to conform - to a greater degree - to the general, accepted formulae for "Art", or it doesn't find many takers.
    Mariann, I like the work you do. I like it a lot. I think it is very good art. The fact that many of your pieces are "pretty" doesn't detract from this. Sure, they may appeal more to a specific sub-section of the population, but I hope you don't feel that you must "change your formula" just so you can make sales... that would be a bit sad really.
    The "pretty" little paintings and prints that you sell in your Etsy shops are balanced by those more robust prints - such as the chameleon in the branches that I think is so fab, or the bamboo forest... Those lino reductions are just wonderful. But all your work is Good Art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lizzie, Hi Pam......I hope you went somewhere nice for your little hols??
    Ahhh... thank you... I am not so worried about myself or my art, I made my decision many years back, and am sticking to it quite happily... but it is an interesting point.... and I agree with both of you, but then just the fact that we are out there, means we are not the ones who consider selling "sellingout".... so onwards and upwards girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is such an interesting question. Certainly if one were in the position of selling out, as it were, it would be a strong temptation. How much do we unconsciously gear our work to what we think others would like? It's taken we years to get the comments of teachers out of head while I'm working....though they do still pop back from time to time as reminders of basics, not necessarily a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting, I like talking about stuff like this.... I think awareness about yourself and your work, is so important for "getting somewhere" developing.... I can see so clearly how my work is a filter to my every day, things heard on the radio, read in books, thought about..... it is all there, sometimes in a very convoluted way, but still..... yes, I know, lots of animals in a submarine.... well, that is me cocking my head at what has made me known here in Singapore, but I had real fun making it!

    ReplyDelete